Saturday, April 13, 2013

What is a Child Sponsor?



              Albert, on the left, is a little boy that I use to sponsor who lives in Zambia



A child sponsor is someone who decides to make a commitment to support a child who is in need. Many of the children are affected by poverty.  The children that I plan to visit are sponsored through Children International, which is a very well known and well respected organization. Children International works in various countries to help bring about positive change in the lives of children who are living in poverty.

I became a child sponsor when I was a teenager and have sponsored off and on over the years. I have been blessed to maintain my longest sponsorships for a little over seven years now. As a child sponsor I am able to help provide support for children such as school supplies, clothing, dental visits, nutritional supplements, and other support. I try to write to the children five or six times throughout the year and send gifts when I can. The children write back and as a result, we have formed a special bond even though we have never seen each other in person. I hope that my visit with my sponsored children will help to strengthen that bond and let them know that they truly have someone who is rooting for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment